Monday, April 5, 2010

GOTCHA DAY!!!





Long awaited arrival!!!  At 4:00 on Monday April 5, 2010 in conference room 6 of the Galatic Peace Hotel in Nanchang, China, our lives changed forever.  Yi Xiao Cui was placed in our arms and for the first time in my life I realized that love at first sight is not just a cliche, but something that can actually happen.  I guess I should start off by explaining the term Gotcha Day.  That is the term used in International Adoption to describe the day that you receive your baby.  Most families will then celebrate that day each year.  So every April 5, we will celebrate Gotcha Day or the day we became a Forever Family.  My words are not going to do justice to the emotions that we are experiencing, but I am going to try to explain the happenings of the day.  The 5 families from our travel group whose babies were from the YiYang orphanage gathered in a hotel conference room that looked very similar to any conference room you would find in the United States.  Exactly at 4:00 several of the orphanage caretakers walked in carrying the babies.  One by one using alphabetical order each family was called up to receive their new daughter.  Kaylee did not cry.  I guess she figured that since I was shaking and Kevin was crying that someone had to be strong.  Instead she just looked very serious and scared.  In fact, she did not cry until a few hours later when we changed her diaper.  At this point, she seems to be a very good natured baby, but we are fully aware that we may still be in the honeymoon stage of the process.  Most babies adopted from orphanages go through some type of grieving process.  Kayless has not cried that much.  In fact, she laughs alot, but there are times when you look at her and she looks so serious and scared.  It makes you wonder what she is feeling in that little heart of hers.  She slept really well the first night and has now just got up from a 2 hour nap.  But each time she awakes, she stares so intensely at Kevin and me.  We just hope that every time she awakes and realizes that we are still here that it will reinforce in her mind that we are her Forever Family and will love her unconditionally.  Now if you have not already done so-- scroll up and check out how cute she is!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly and Kevin!!! Wait - I mean Mom and Dad CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Kaylee is so beautiful. Her little smile is heart warming. Just beautiful!!! Love all the hair. She sure looks good and healthy. Jiangxi girls rock!!!!! Thank you Lord for Kaylee and that she is happy, healthy and doing ok.
    GTG find a tissue. Gotcha Day makes me all mushy!
    Love and Hugs and hug that baby one more time for me, please!!!!
    Laney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly and Kevin, you guys look radiant with Kaylee in your arms. The smile is infectious! Congratulations and we can't wait for your return
    Shalom!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, she is sooooo stinkin' adorable!!! Seriously, she looks so happy and I'm so happy for you guys! What a little doll. I hope I can meet her in person one day soon.

    Jennifer (Bloom) Epstein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kelly!! Kaylee is so beautiful! The smiles on your faces say it all - it's a match made in Heaven! It is so good to see that big smile on your face, Kel! I'm praising God for that instant sense of belonging for Kaylee and can't wait to meet her! Love you guys, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Awesome. Kaylee is so beautiful. The Kennedy's can breathe now, it seems we have held our breath since you left. God bless you guys. Brad

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome!!! She is adorable and you all look so happy!!! God bless you all!! See you soon, cant wait to meet little Kaylee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello.....Kaylee is so cute. I came across your blog and cannot believe that you live in Henderson!! I am only 20 minutes from you living in Owensboro. We are going through the paperwork to adopt from China, but are going the special needs route. I just had to comment on here. You can visit us at www.whitledge.blogspot.com So nice to see Kaylee with her forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy -- both of you, and Kaylee! She is so adorable! So glad that you are hitting it off from the start! She sounds like she's taking it all in, but having a few laugh while she's doing it. That's great! Thank God she is so healthy, and that you're finally together as a family! We're thrilled for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you guys!! Kaylee is absolutely adorable!! I can't wait to meet her in person!

    ReplyDelete