Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Our 1st full day with Kaylee




Today was a paperwork day.  Nanchang is the capital of Jiangxi Province so several governmental offices are located here.  I am not exactly sure what all the paperwork was about.  I just followed our guide as she shuffled us in and out of offices.  I believe most of the paperwork was centered around applying for Kaylee's passport.  But, I believe after today we are paperwork free for the rest of our stay in Nanchang until we fly to Guangzhou on Friday and start the paper trail again.  Probably the highlight of today (other than getting to spend it with Kaylee) was our trip to Wal-mart to stock up on supplies.  It was actually very similar to Wal-marts in the U.S.  You know very crowded with people trying to run you over with their carts.  Since it was 2 levels, probably the neatest feature was the escalator that you got on with your cart and somehow your cart would become magnetized or locked into place.  They had most of the brands we are use to such as Pampers, Huggies, Heinz, Keebler.  Probably one of the weirdest things is their variety in potato chips.  They have Lays and Pringles, but the flavors are different than what we are accustom to seeing-- hot and sour fish soup, BBQ steak, and all kinds of other wonderful sounding flavors.  Luckily, they do also have original which is of course what I got, but Kevin sure was eyeing some of the odd flavors.  Kaylee is doing well.  I think she is overwhelmed with all of the activity.  When we are out, she is constantly turning her head from side to side watching all the happenings.  She seems to be most comforted just being in the hotel room with us.  That is when she smiles, laughs, and makes all kinds of crazy noises.  She loves her daddy and cries when he leaves the room.  Kevin was so worried that she would be scared of him, but that has not been the case at all.  It has been heartwarming to see his interaction with Kaylee.  Of course, he still has not changed a diaper, but we are working on that.  We are still waiting on our first bad diaper.  They give the babies some sort of rice paste for the 3 hour trip from the orphanage to Nanchang so that they will not have a dirty diaper when they are handed to their new parents.  So waiting on your first poopy diaper is always a big deal in China adoption circles-- it is talked about all over the blogs. In fact, prunes were on the packing list given to us by our adoption agency. We have given her one container of prunes, but no action.  I guess we will give her the second container today.  At last count, 2 of the babies in our group had been set free!!!! but the other 3 babies have not.  I cannot believe I am writing about this, but this is what has been consuming the conversation of our little group.  Hopefully, I will have good news to report tomorrow on this lovely subject.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so awesome yet overwhelming. My prayers are with you all as I wish you a safe and uneventful return. I cant wait to see the little cutie, she is adorable. And Kevin, get over the diaper thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys have had a good time getting to know each other! Now, we just need to get Kevin to step into the 21st century and change those diapers! LOL!

    ReplyDelete