The next stop was to Tiananmen Square and I looked across the vast "square", a strange sense of sadness came over me. We may not agree what a countries political belief is but when it envolves a person giving up their life for what they believe in.....I think you know where I am going. I could not get out of my head that many lives were lost on the exact ground where I was standing. There was not a large military presence but it was felt. Guards stood on post at every monument, door way, and other strategic points.
We then headed over to start our journey through the temples and ultimately to the forbidden city where various Emperors held a throne. We spent two hours walking through the forbidden city and garden. The architecture of each building was amazing. They able to build the temples so that they could make it through and earth quake with minimal damage. Thats not to say they would not survive major damage but they would not be completely destroyed. The ground that I am talking about are massive covering 7,800,000 square feet with 980 surviving buildings with 8,707 bays of rooms.
Upon leaving the Emperors "shack" we headed to the Olympic Village where we were able to get out and walk to the famous Birds Nest and Water Cube. I remember seeing the opening ceremony and how amazing the Birds Nest was. Seeing it in person brings it into a different light. The construction of both of these establishments leaves you in Awe!
The next stop was the Chinese Theatre to see the Chines Acrobats. These acrobats were amazing and flexible; however, with such a long day I think we had too much on our plate. All of us were a bit tired so I am not sure we were able to take in the full effect. So we got some takeout and came back to our rooms.
Today was tieing but a wonderful day that brings us closer to Kaylee. What a great idea it is to learn about your childs culture when adopting internationally. There is so much I wish I could tell her about today and how great her country is. I look forward to the day when I can tell her stories from today. I wish I could tell her about her dads crazy sense of humor during our travel today. I was in a joking mood today and everything seemed funny. For example: we were going through the forbidden city and the tour guide said, "can anyone tell me why the the Emperor would have such large spaces between building with no plants or trees?". I said "becasue he had really bad allergies?" Everyone thought it was funny including me!
Hope everyone enjoyed my first blogging experience and I hope this was what Kelly will be pleased with my first assignment.





So glad to hear that you made it. Have fun touring. Get as much sleep as you can. Love seeing the pictures.
ReplyDeleteLaney