Everyone will be happy to know that Kevin and I made it all the way to the top of the Great Wall today. It was actually alot more difficult than I anticipated. In fact, only us and one other couple from our group made it all the way. I think I am in decent shape, but I have to admit there were times when I thought about turning around. I did not realize how steep some of the portions would be-- there were times when you felt like you were climbing the steps instead of walking. Not to mention, the steps are not the same height. One step might be equivalent to a step on a normal staircase and then the very next step would be equivalent to 3 steps combined. And for everyone wondering, Kevin did make it to the top as well!!!-- I think he was mostly fueled on by not wanting to be out done by me....
We also went to a Jade market today which was really cool. Beijing is supposedly the best place in the world to buy Jade so we got the whole scoop on everything you need to know about Jade. It is Chinese tradition, for the mom to pass down a piece of jade to her daughter so we purchased a Jade bangle bracelet. After the Jade market, we went to the Emperor's Summer Palace and learned more about Chinese history. The Great Wall has definitely been the highlight of our stay in Beijing. I realize the Chinese history stuff is important, but this is a very, very old country and all the info. about the many, many different dynasties and rulers are starting to run together. All I am hearing now is blah, blah, blah... They are going to have to get me a Chinese History for Dummies book if they expect me to retain any of this information. I think everyone in our group has the same mentality--enough with the history lesson-- just give us our babies!!!
You guys are probably wondering how we are adjusting to the time and with the food situation. Kevin is actually adapting better than me as it is 2:00 in the morning as I type this post. Kevin seems to be sleeping soundly. I can sleep good for about 4 hours, but then I get restless and cannot go back to sleep. Probably the main reason for the stay in Beijing prior to receiving the babies (other than learning about Chinese history and culture) is to try to get everyone adjusted to the time. They have kept us on the move from early morning each day until about 7:00 each night so they pretty much make you get on their time schedule. The food situation has been interesting. Kevin is all about trying exotic things and has been on his own little culinary journey which I am sure he will continue with as we trek around China. The breakfast buffet at the hotel is actually really good. They have an Asian side and a western side. Kevin got to have squid for breakfast which he said was very good as was my cereal and toast I found on the Western side of the buffet. Kevin has been disappointed in my unwillingness to try different foods, but I don't have a stomach of iron like he evidently does. It is funny though, I have not eaten at McDonalds in probably 5 years, but I have already eaten there twice since we have been in China and yes, the french fries in China taste the same as the ones in the United States.
I am hearing that there are some really nice comments about the blog and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their love, support, and prayers. Unfortunately, I cannot see the blog or the comments. China has all social networking sites (blogs and facebook) blocked so we pre-arranged with the lady that designed the blog to e-mail our daily posts and somehow they show up on the blog. The lady that did the blog is an adoptive mom and specializes in doing blogs for people adopting from China so she knows how to get around the blogs being blocked. But, I cannot wait to read the comments when I get home. Also, I do have access to my personal e-mail so you can leave us a message there if you would like!!
Above are the pictures from the Great Wall. Noticed the one that looks like it is taking from the back of a group of Chinese people. Kevin and I are actually in the middle of that group. We had walked back down a little ways so that someone in our group could take our picture with the Great Wall in the background and when we did a Chinese guy asked if he could take our picture. When we said yes, all of these Chinese people started running toward us for a group photo. It was pretty funny-- of course they were all smiling / laughing and talking a mile a minute. Makes you wonder what the caption on their picture is going to be--probably something like-- You can find annoying Americans everywhere even on the Great Wall of China!!!









No comments:
Post a Comment